Saturday, February 19, 2011

iRead- Janet Jackson's True You Book Review


I watched Janet Jackson's Dateline interview right before Super Bowl XLV and fell in love with her all over again. I have always been a Janet fan but something about the way she opened up to Meredith Vieira left me wanted to read more about her journey in hopes to get some guidance about my own.
I read her book, True You- A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself, in one sitting.

In the book she says flat out, "...I am no expert. I have no psychic powers and I sure don't possess any secret wisdom. I'm just Janet... I'm highly emotional. I'm very vulnerable." 

After finishing the book I had to come back to those words on page 3... because I was feeling sort of gypped. The book was, in my opinion, a host of immature thoughts. It was very emotional and very vulnerable. I felt like she could have gone a little deeper. She share's stories and letters from fan as well as gives us a synopsis on her journey of finding her "True You". 

Reading this book did not paint a picture of how I could find my "True You" but it did give me a nice picture of Ms. Jackson's journey. And as long as you keep the words from page 3 in your head while reading, True You- A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself, it is a good read. I do think she should have named it something else tho... "True Me- My Journey to Finding and Loving Myself"? :-)

I am still a fan of Janet Jackson and would also like to try some of the recipes in the back of the book. These recipe's are some on Ms. Jackson's favorites and they are healthy and apart of her new lifestyle. I also enjoyed the personal family pictures she added.

Overall I would give the book a B-


1 comment:

  1. So how did she find herself? what was her journey? I like Ms. Jackson if you're nasty but I often find her wayyy too complicated. One minute she's this shy chick with song like "lets wait awhile" then she grew up and started singing songs like "if" and all her inner freak came out. She had a secret marriage with a man who beat her for years and all of a sudden NOW she's finding herself? NOW she wants to talk about Joe beating her when she was younger? Idk..ms. jackson if you're nasty is one hot ball of mess and needs to get it together.

    ReplyDelete